This wasn't the topic I wanted to write about today but time is short and I'm very busy and I already had this one prepared, so here goes.
What is a curebie?
You are a curebie if any of the following ring a bell.
1. You think that one day, with enough funding, someone will invent a magic pill, therapy or operation that the kid can take which will make them Neurotypical (NT).
2. You think that you can simply change a kids diet, parents, proximity to power sources, TV or Game viewing/playing hours and they'll suddenly become NT.
3. You think you can make a kid NT by electroshocking them, beating them, locking them up or otherwise torturing them into normality.
4. You think that being Aspie or Autistic is wrong..wrong...wrong. A burden thrust onto you (a parent) which needs to be "fixed".
5. You don't think anyone would be happy the way they are unless they are NT.
6. All you want is for your child to be the same as everyone else's child.
7. You think that any money collected for autistic children should be funneled into research into finding a cure rather than being spent on improving their quality of life.
8. Your child's condition diminishes your love for him/her - you'd love them more if they were NT.
9. You're certain that Asperger's or Autism isn't genetic, it's caused by outside/environmental factors which can be cured.
Why are Curebies Dangerous?
The main reason that curebies are dangerous is because they're usually willing to take any steps possible to convert their child to a normal one - even if there's risk to the child's health, longevity or mental state.
Curebie therapies are often quite nasty and many (most) of the doctors who support cure movements tend to fall into the "quack" category. In some cases, the curebie medical profession seems very similar to internet scams with the main aims being more monetary that social.
Most of all though, it's because people and families get hurt.