Skip to main content

End of Year (2009) Wrap-up

It's been a busy year for me on several fronts;

At home, we've moved into our new house and it's taken quite a bit of work to make it "home". I've been able to observe my kids accepting their new environment and in some cases, I've seen frustrations emerge as either meltdowns or destructive behaviour. They have improved though. I'm not sure how much of that improvement is due to their self-control and how much is due to changes in our parenting methods.

At work, I've mostly been busy on the second year of a six-month project (that's right, it's behind schedule) but I've been slowly making the journey from "super-tech" to project manager without training. I'm just learning from my mistakes (of which there is no shortage). I've also learned a lot about time management and this year is particularly special because it's the first year that I've maintained a corporate calendar for the entire year - normally they stop around March.

I've been busy in scouts too, making the transition from parent helper to leader. I'm learning how to motivate and focus the kids while still maintaining their enjoyment of the programme. I've witnessed meltdowns and bullying and I'm learning how to curb such behaviour in kids. Hopefully the kids will benefit from the positive environment I'm trying to provide. It's also provided me with a lot of firsthand experience of how my own kids cope in group situations.

Online, Facebook seems to have really come into its own this year and I've made quite a few new friends. I'm actually surprised by the depth of friendship and the degree of support that some of these facebook friends can offer and it was great last week to follow Christmas around the world as people posted about their day.

In the blogging world, there have been some amazing discussions and revelations and I feel privileged to have been able to follow them. I'm planning to do a future post to discuss the blogs I follow - and why I find them so interesting. On this blog, I've tackled a whole range of issues and stereotypes with varying degrees of success. Guided by my readers comments, my topics seem to have stayed much closer to "adult relationships" than to aspie children though I hope to cover a wider range of issues next year.

Thank you to all my readers and especially those who have left comments. I do make a point to read all of them even though I don't always reply. Sometimes I feel that comments remain best undiluted by my response - even when they're saying the opposite of what I feel. Sometimes comments cause me to rethink my position. Most importantly, the comments often drive the choice of discussion topics on the blog.

As the first decade of this new millennium draws to a close, I'd like to wish you all a happy new year and hope that 2010 is good to you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have just begun following your blog. I look forward to your future posts. Happy New Year to you and yours!
Adelaide Dupont said…
Looking forward to the blogging following post.

Would like to see the posts where you told about the change in your parenting methods (and J's).

Also, it's good to see the children in group situations, and to read about you as a Scout leader.
aspieprincess said…
Happy New Year, Gavin! Your site still remains one of my most favorite.

Have a wonderful 2010!
Johanna said…
Hi Gavin!
Happy New Year and thanks for a really good blogg. I have read it all through and am waiting for new posts. It would be especially interesting to hear about the changes in your parenting methods...We have an almost 8-year old aspie son and I do respect your take on the challenges with parenting as you see it both as a parent, but also understan the aspie aspect from "inside".
Nikki said…
Happy new year! I found your blog the other day and read through nearly the entire thing in one sitting. You truly have a gift for writing.

I referred a friend to the blog and found to my surprise that he'd known about it for a very long time. Don't underestimate the sheer number of people you help and educate, Gavin.

Best wishes wrapping up the holiday season, and I eagerly await your next post.
Hartley said…
Happy New Year!

I thought I would mention here that your blog is one of the first things I found after my son was diagnosed last year--specifically the series you did about your own childhood. It was some of my biggest "ah ha" moments. Especially your blankets being related (as are my son's extensive collection of stuffed lions including two sets of "twins")!

You are touching MANY people with your posts.

Thank you!
Hartley
www.hartleysboys.com
bludancer said…
this is an important blog. i like the emphasis on information. the positive approach is really helpful, and i like how well-written it is also.
Gavin
Happy New Year - I wish more of us would blog the way you do - one of my goals this year is to try to encourage everyone to start a blog (and teach them how)

I would be very interested to know which blogs you follow and why (which you promised to blog about soon) so I look forward to that post.

Hope those long hours don't remain for much longer (do let us now if we can help: on the business side of things)

Cheers,
Tony
Miguel Palacio said…
Gavin, I've been following your blog for about a year now. And as you can see I'm still way back and it's now almost 2015, but I can't miss a beat as I've been reading every single one of your entries with much attention. Many enlightening insights and comments. I will catch up some day, but your blog has been part of my daily reading. Thanks. It helps me better understand myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Aspie Myths - "He Won't Miss Me"

I apologise for the excessive "male-orientated" viewpoint in this post. I tried to keep it neutral but somehow, it just works better when explained from a male viewpoint. Here's a phrase that I've seen repeated throughout the comments on this blog on several occasions; "I know that he won't miss me when I'm gone because he's aspie" Today, we're going to (try to) bust that myth; Individuals I'll start off with a reminder that everyone is an individual. If all aspies were completely alike and predictible, they'd be a stereotype but they're not. Each is shaped by their background, their upbringing, their beliefs and their local customs. An aspie who grew up with loud abusive parents has a reasonable chance of becoming loud and abusive themselves because in some cases, that's all they know. That's how they think adults are supposed to behave. In other cases, aspies who grew up in those circumstances do a complete about-fa

Why Do Aspies Suddenly Back-Off in Relationships? (Part 1)

One of the most frequent questions I'm asked is why an aspie (or suspected aspie) suddenly goes "cold" and backs off on an otherwise good relationship. It's a difficult question and the answers would vary considerably from one person to another and would depend greatly on the circumstances. Nevertheless, I'll try to point out some possibilities. Negative Reasons I generally like to stay positive on this blog and assume that people are not necessarily "evil" but simply misguided. Unfortunately, I do have to acknowledge that there are some people out there who take advantage of others. I read a book a few years ago on "sociopaths in the workplace" and I was stunned by the figures. They suggested that sociopaths were so common that most workplaces (small business) had at least one or two. The fact is that there are lots of people out there who really feel very little for others and who are very manipulative. I'd like to say that aspies aren

Why do Aspies Suddenly Back Off in Relationships (Part 2)

In part one, we looked at the role that Change Resistance plays in causing aspies to suddenly go "cold" in otherwise good relationships. This time, I want to look at self esteem and depression; Self Esteem The aspie relationship with themselves is tedious at best. People with Asperger's commonly suffer from low self esteem. As discussed in earlier posts, this low self esteem often results from years of emotional turmoil resulting from their poor social skills. Aspies are often their own worst enemy. They can over analyze situations and responses in an effort to capture lost nonverbal communication. This often causes them to invent problems and to imagine replies. Everything made up by aspies will tend to be tainted with their own self image. This is one of reasons that people with Asperger's will sometimes decide that they are not good enough for their partner and that they must let them go. Sometimes, the aspie will develop a notion of chivalry or self-sacrific