Monday, November 22, 2010

Article: Low Muscle Tone and Motor Clumsiness in Aspergers Children

I just want to draw your attention to what is quite simply the best article I've ever read on Low Muscle Tone in Aspergers Children;

It's called;

Low Muscle Tone and Motor Clumsiness in Aspergers Children

The article covers detection of low muscle tone (or hypotonia to give its "proper" name), how it presents, exercises that you can do with babies and age-specific exercises you can do with older children.

It covers a wide range of topics from motor clumsiness to handwriting, grasp and balance problems. It even looks at the social implications.

It's well worth a read.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank for pointing the article out. I did find it useful! It pulled together a lot of my child's movements in a way that I can better comprehend. I didn't realize how many of his issues came under the same umbrella, such as joint hypermobility being related to the poor muscle tone, and the fine motor difficulty with pen grasp, and using utensils, etc.

aspmom said...

So glad you shared this. I had never read about the link with hypotonia before.

'Enjoying The Hi-5s of Autism - A Family Experience' said...

Gavin, we just read your comments in wrongplanet.net from 2009. Know that your current and past posts are still helping many families on the Autism Spectrum.
Kindly follow our blog at http://familyenjoyinghi5autism.blogspot.com . Also, we joined you on NetworkeddBlogs on Facebook. Please join ours at
http://apps.facebook.com/blognetworks/userpage.php

noejen94 said...

My 6 yr old son is currently undergoing evaluation for Aspergers and today one of the things noted other than the motor skills was the low muscle tone. This article describe my son perfectly and has helped me understand a little more clearly what is happening with him.