Skip to main content

Book Review: Edward Adrift by Craig Lancaster

Edward Adrift

The Sequel to 600 Hours of Edward
by Craig Lancaster

A Review.

It's been almost seven years since I reviewed 600 Hours of Edward on this blog. It was one of the first books I reviewed here.

At the time, I said that I finished it and wanted more. Edward is a very likeable character and I always felt that a sequel was needed.

Imagine my surprise when out of the blue, Amazon's "recommended reading for you" page offered a sequel - and at a very reasonable price too.

I really wanted to go back and re-read the first book but unfortunately I simply don't have the time these days. I guess that means that you can pick up this book without having read the first one.

A Well-Rounded and Accomplished Sequel

Edward Adrift feels like a much accomplished book than its predecessor. It seems longer and more complete. It really feels like two stories but they're so expertly entwined that one naturally leads into the other.

Edward Adrift is a great book which is full of humour and emotion. It's part “road trip” and part self-discovery. It's not "action packed" and nearly everything in the book happens on an emotional level but if you like character driven books, it's great.

In a way, it feels a little like a male with Asperger's version of Bridget Jones.. minus the sex of course, remember it's an "aspie" male's point of view, Edward is really too awkward around people for that sort of thing.  

The main character of Edward is still as enjoyable as he was in the first book and he really shines as a person with Asperger's syndrome. He's a very well-rounded three dimensional character whose symptoms and traits meet the criteria without ever feeling forced.

It's a great book for anyone involved with Asperger's or special needs because it puts the reader into his thought processes.  Edward's obsession with the weather and specific television shows is still there but at the same time, you can see how these obsessions are changing as the world around him changes, and sets him adrift.

It's a great low-key story and like the first Edward, it would make great movie material with the right crew.

Edward Adrift is a highly recommended and very enjoyable read by Craig Lancaster and it is available on Amazon in a variety of formats; Kindle, Paperback, Audiable and CD.

As it turns out, there's a third chapter, Edward Unspooled which was just released. I've already bought it so there'll be a review of that soon. (As a consequence Books 1 and 2 are on special).


The three Edward books are available on Amazon;


Honesty Clause: I purchased Edward Adrift with absolutely no urging from anyone simply because I enjoyed the first book so much. 

Comments

Trish said…
Ooh, I didn't know there was a third book. I actually listened to both of the first two back when I had Kindle Unlimited and enjoyed them quite a bit. Thanks for the heads up!

Popular posts from this blog

Aspie Myths - "He Won't Miss Me"

I apologise for the excessive "male-orientated" viewpoint in this post. I tried to keep it neutral but somehow, it just works better when explained from a male viewpoint. Here's a phrase that I've seen repeated throughout the comments on this blog on several occasions; "I know that he won't miss me when I'm gone because he's aspie" Today, we're going to (try to) bust that myth; Individuals I'll start off with a reminder that everyone is an individual. If all aspies were completely alike and predictible, they'd be a stereotype but they're not. Each is shaped by their background, their upbringing, their beliefs and their local customs. An aspie who grew up with loud abusive parents has a reasonable chance of becoming loud and abusive themselves because in some cases, that's all they know. That's how they think adults are supposed to behave. In other cases, aspies who grew up in those circumstances do a complete about-fa

Why Do Aspies Suddenly Back-Off in Relationships? (Part 1)

One of the most frequent questions I'm asked is why an aspie (or suspected aspie) suddenly goes "cold" and backs off on an otherwise good relationship. It's a difficult question and the answers would vary considerably from one person to another and would depend greatly on the circumstances. Nevertheless, I'll try to point out some possibilities. Negative Reasons I generally like to stay positive on this blog and assume that people are not necessarily "evil" but simply misguided. Unfortunately, I do have to acknowledge that there are some people out there who take advantage of others. I read a book a few years ago on "sociopaths in the workplace" and I was stunned by the figures. They suggested that sociopaths were so common that most workplaces (small business) had at least one or two. The fact is that there are lots of people out there who really feel very little for others and who are very manipulative. I'd like to say that aspies aren

Why do Aspies Suddenly Back Off in Relationships (Part 2)

In part one, we looked at the role that Change Resistance plays in causing aspies to suddenly go "cold" in otherwise good relationships. This time, I want to look at self esteem and depression; Self Esteem The aspie relationship with themselves is tedious at best. People with Asperger's commonly suffer from low self esteem. As discussed in earlier posts, this low self esteem often results from years of emotional turmoil resulting from their poor social skills. Aspies are often their own worst enemy. They can over analyze situations and responses in an effort to capture lost nonverbal communication. This often causes them to invent problems and to imagine replies. Everything made up by aspies will tend to be tainted with their own self image. This is one of reasons that people with Asperger's will sometimes decide that they are not good enough for their partner and that they must let them go. Sometimes, the aspie will develop a notion of chivalry or self-sacrific