Skip to main content

Article: Focus on Hyperfocus

I'd like to draw your attention to a good article on Hyperfocus on Additude, an ADHD site. Hyperfocus does come into play in ADD/ADHD but I think it's even more applicable to Aspergers.

The article is:

Learn About ADHD: Focus on Hyperfocus

Information about ADHD symptom of hyperfocus -- a common symptom that explains why many attention deficit children and adults can concentrate so intently at times.
by Royce Flippin
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/612.html

The article covers the good parts of hyperfocus, which is something I've already done but it then goes into detail on the negative points too.

Relating to the Article
I can certainly relate to a number of points in the article, having had to be fetched from my office on various occasions when alarms have sounded without my noticing them. It might be possible to write some of these down to my deafness, but not the problems where we've lost lighting power (without wall outlet power), or air conditioning and I've kept on computing when my outside environment has become unbearable to my colleagues.

At home, sometimes I decide to do some work, check my mail or play a quick game just before going to bed. These activities often cause me to hop bleary-eyed into bed for a quick couple of hours sleep before work the next day. The passing of time during hyperfocus is beneath my focus.

After Work Focus
It's not good to do too much personal stuff on company time, so I often wait until after work hours to complete personal things, like blog entries or reading non-work web sites. Sometimes I get so focussed on these that I forget to go home. I'll look up, feeling like I've done five minutes of solid work and realise that it's been thirteen hours since I left the house. Naturally, I get into a lot of trouble when I get home - and it's well neigh impossible to explain how I lost my focus to my NT wife.

RSI Focus
The other big problem that I have with hyperfocus is RSI. If you spend 12+ hours on the computer 5-7 days per week, you'll soon develop RSI problems. Once you've had the problem the first time, it recurrs for the rest of your life. These days, it doesn't take too long for my hands to start hurting.

Luckily (or unluckily), my Aspergers tends to make it easy for me to ignore pain up to a certain point. I'll often complete a task and snap out of hyperfocus only to discover that my hands are masses of pain - or even worse, have gone completely numb.

I tried using a desktop timer to interrupt me on a regular basis. It worked for a couple of years but unfortunately, I got used to it - particularly when it kept coming up in the middle of important work. I started closing the application without even realising.

Fortuantely, I work with a very understanding group of people and they frequently take it upon themselves to "hassle me out of my office" for breaks, meetings and morning tea. Even better, there's no disabling them.

Sometimes I wonder if aspies need permanent baby sitters.

Comments

Angela said…
What a great article! It makes me wonder if I don't have ADD. I go from project to project while I let the laundry and daily chores go by the way side. I usually do get those things done eventually but not until I feel I absolutely "have to".

Thanks for the good read.
Anonymous said…
I wonder why nobody on there pointed it out that it can be applicable to Asperger's much more than ADD and ADHD. I know many kids at my school who have ADD/ADHD, and they definetley live up to the rumour of 'no attention span'. But I can be hyperfocus and I will realise it at 3 AM! I was playing Halo 3 last night(love that game) and I ended up playuing from 6 AM to 3 AM with barely any brakes except for the bathroom(can't shut that out) and a small snack here and there, mostly not as I had a bag of chips and a giant 2 liter of Mountain Dew.
Anonymous said…
I enjoyed this post and appreciate the info. Wondering: what do you see as the difference between hyperfocus and being in a state of "flow?"
Ralph Doncaster said…
Barkley says hyperfocus goes with autism, so I would guess he'd agree that it's more of an Aspergers thing than ADHD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfkg0VWx3rM
I have ADHD & Aspergers, so in my case the waters are a bit muddied.

Popular posts from this blog

Aspie Myths - "He Won't Miss Me"

I apologise for the excessive "male-orientated" viewpoint in this post. I tried to keep it neutral but somehow, it just works better when explained from a male viewpoint. Here's a phrase that I've seen repeated throughout the comments on this blog on several occasions; "I know that he won't miss me when I'm gone because he's aspie" Today, we're going to (try to) bust that myth; Individuals I'll start off with a reminder that everyone is an individual. If all aspies were completely alike and predictible, they'd be a stereotype but they're not. Each is shaped by their background, their upbringing, their beliefs and their local customs. An aspie who grew up with loud abusive parents has a reasonable chance of becoming loud and abusive themselves because in some cases, that's all they know. That's how they think adults are supposed to behave. In other cases, aspies who grew up in those circumstances do a complete about-fa

Why Do Aspies Suddenly Back-Off in Relationships? (Part 1)

One of the most frequent questions I'm asked is why an aspie (or suspected aspie) suddenly goes "cold" and backs off on an otherwise good relationship. It's a difficult question and the answers would vary considerably from one person to another and would depend greatly on the circumstances. Nevertheless, I'll try to point out some possibilities. Negative Reasons I generally like to stay positive on this blog and assume that people are not necessarily "evil" but simply misguided. Unfortunately, I do have to acknowledge that there are some people out there who take advantage of others. I read a book a few years ago on "sociopaths in the workplace" and I was stunned by the figures. They suggested that sociopaths were so common that most workplaces (small business) had at least one or two. The fact is that there are lots of people out there who really feel very little for others and who are very manipulative. I'd like to say that aspies aren

Why do Aspies Suddenly Back Off in Relationships (Part 2)

In part one, we looked at the role that Change Resistance plays in causing aspies to suddenly go "cold" in otherwise good relationships. This time, I want to look at self esteem and depression; Self Esteem The aspie relationship with themselves is tedious at best. People with Asperger's commonly suffer from low self esteem. As discussed in earlier posts, this low self esteem often results from years of emotional turmoil resulting from their poor social skills. Aspies are often their own worst enemy. They can over analyze situations and responses in an effort to capture lost nonverbal communication. This often causes them to invent problems and to imagine replies. Everything made up by aspies will tend to be tainted with their own self image. This is one of reasons that people with Asperger's will sometimes decide that they are not good enough for their partner and that they must let them go. Sometimes, the aspie will develop a notion of chivalry or self-sacrific